History of Radway

 

Radway has a history of being community spirited. It is understood that until the early 1870’s when there was general social unrest, an annual festival including a flower show, was held in the Grange gardens with a marquee erected for teas and a band. This festival was connected to the dedication of the old and new Church to St Peter on `Wake` Sunday, the first Sunday after St. Peter’s Day and the celebration was the Wednesday of that week. Colonel Starkey permitted a fete and flower show to be held in the Park where there were sports, teas and dancing. This was not connected to the `Wake`.

Some of the more significant features of the village’s history are:

Early Saxon
it is assumed that King John’s Lane was a Mercian boundary
Saxon
earliest recorded historic links are to Coventry when Radway was wholly owned by the Church
Radmore Monks
Edward1 in 1284 grants a “free warren” (an enclosed area for the breeding of game), in Radway Manor
Church of St Peter
originally built in 1321, it was demolished when the present church was consecrated in 1866
Radway Grange
built in the 16th century by the Stoneleigh monks and redesigned and landscaped by Sanderson Miller in the 18th century
The Farmers
Spring line village with organised drainage. Grazed parkland, visible evidence of ridge and furrow, working farms within the village
The Quakers
significant Quaker tradition with a burial ground and Quaker Meeting House (Oriel Cottage) which was in use until 1850
Village Hall and Church School
commissioned by Charles and John Chambers in 1852 and 1854 respectively
War Memorial Lych-gate
erected in grateful remembrance of those belonging to the village who served in the Great War 1914 – 1918 and in sacred memory of those who fell in active service 1939 – 1945. Field Marshall Earl Haig is listed in the roll of honour
The Green
houses erected by the council in the 1950’s in three phases on the “boundary” of “The Green”
Townsend Farm
adaptation of former farm buildings to create 5 dwellings in the late 1980’s
Old Stable Yard Stable Mews
adaptation of former stables and new buildings to create 7 dwellings in the late 1990s